Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Machu Picchu (Part 5): Lodging

Lodging

First, a note on hotel lingo in Peru.

Simple = 1 twin size bed
Doble = 2 twin size beds
Matrimonial = 1 double size bed
Triple = 3 twins or 1 double + 1 twin


1. Lima

Assuming that you are already in Lima before the MP trip, I have not included costs and lodging in Lima as part of the tip.  Touring Lima itself will be a separate post.

However, here are three lodging options I have tried in Lima.  They all have good hot water and take credit cards.
a.  Golden Tower Hotel and Suites.  In a safe area of Lima, near many shopping opportunities and restaurants.  A matrimonial costs S/. 90.00 a night.  Because of the location, this is my favorite place to stay in Lima.
b.  El Principe.  Near the airport.  That area is seen as in a slightly more dangerous area of town, but we never had trouble.  A matrimonial costs about S/. 80.00 a night.  The list price on their website is $45, but you can negotiate that.
c.  Inkari Suites.  In a safe, middle to upper class neighborhood in Lima, near a couple of restaurants but no shopping.  A matrimonial costs S/. 150.00 a night, but their double size beds are usually queen-sized.  This is the most luxurious hotel I've used, with a jacuzzi tub in every room--and the best bang for the buck I have found in Lima.   I believe that some of my money was stolen when I put it in the room's safe.  They have since had a complete staff turnover, so I have stayed there since with no problems.  (I won't use room safes anymore though.)

There are plenty of budget hotels in Lima that charge S/. 40.00 - 60.00 a night that are pleasant and safe.  I stay at the pricier ones because whenever I go to Lima, I have certain errands to run.  I pay a premium for location.

2.  Cusco

With 1.5 million tourists passing through in 2010, Cusco has a large variety of hotels to suit all budgets.   Budget hostels ("hostal") usually run around S/. 60 - 75 a night for a matrimonial (double bed).

a.  Hostal Imperial II, on Calle Nueva Baja 474 (clever.ken@hotmail.com, Phone:  51-84-631619, no website).  This is my favorite place to stay in Cusco.  It is centrally located at walking distance near the train station and the central market, as well as the Plaza de Armas (central town square).

b.  Hostal Quipu, on Calle Fierro 495.  Very similar to Hostal Imperial II, but a little farther up a hilly street.  It's a good place to stay, but at 3,400 meters in altitude, hilly streets can take their toll on you. 

3.  Machu Picchu Pueblo

The municipality of Machu Picchu has a fairly comprehensive list of lodging options.  Again, prices range from S/. 40.00 a night at budget hostels to hundreds of dollars at luxury hotels.  Most of the budget hostels are within a block or two from the Plaza de Armas.  This is good, because the other hotels may be more luxurious, but the walk is all uphill from the Plaza.  Believe me, the average middle-aged parent with kids would want to keep the mountain climbing to a minimum.

Unfortunately, I have given the hostel business cards I collected at MPP away to other travelers.  This was before I knew I was going to have a travel blog.  In low season, it wouldn't be hard to simply show up, ask around, and find something between S/. 40.00 and S/. 70.00 a night. 

This year, we stayed at Hostal Angies which was very nice--until we left.  Some of us left with fleas, while others were ok.  So, not every room was visited by their pet dog.  But also, not recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment